Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Shoes

Mary, here. Happy Holidays to you all.

The Christmas season has always been one of my favorite times of the year. The decorating, baking, parties, shopping, giving gifts, great food, and of course family. As a musician, one of my favorite parts is listening to Christmas carols on the radio.

There is one song that most of you have probably heard, "Christmas Shoes." This song is a little too close to home, as it describes a little boy whose mother has been ill, and who is getting ready to "meet Jesus" on Christmas Eve. Our mother, Kathleen Holleger to whom this page is dedicated died on December 23rd, 2007, during the Christmas season. I think that all of us have decided not to let the anniversary of her death dampen the Christmas spirit for our family, because my mom would have never wanted that. However, when I hear this song, I can't help but get emotional.



Especially this line:
"Mama made Christmas good at our house, though most years she just did without." 

After years of avoiding this song whenever it came on the radio, and even after getting teary when hearing it for the first time this Christmas season, I've decided to go ahead and embrace this song. When I hear it, I'll think of my mom and I'll smile. I'll remember how much she did for us around Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, here.
    I always have liked this song. Even though it was a little sad, especially at the time, I still didn't mind it... I just thought it was a sweet song about love and Christmas and how the guy (like so many) was too consumed with the gifts and his to-do list.
    Sometimes I think of that December in 2007...there were still gifts under the tree for her.
    I like the line "I want her to look beautiful, if Momma meets Jesus tonight"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about the presents under the tree to/from Mom made me tear up! But thanks for the wonderful memory, Beth.

    ReplyDelete