Monday, October 3, 2011

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The Holleger Kids want to increase not only awareness, but also donations towards breast cancer research. During the month of October, we have each written a short blog post in memory of our mom, which you can find below. We hope that you are touched as you read these posts, and that you will take a moment to donate to our Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure team.

You can donate online to our team here:
Holleger Kids Team Page

Or you can send a check for donations to:
Mary Holleger Giannone
700 Lower State Rd.
Apt. 5-A7
North Wales, PA 19454

We are currently accepting donations for the Mother's Day 2012 Race for the Cure. You can donate to an individual on the team, or to the entire team. Please specify on the check who you would like the donation to apply towards.

OUR TEAM:
Mary Holleger Giannone is now 26, and expecting her first child in January, 
a girl (who will be at the walk in May!)


Dianne Holleger Arn is now 23, and has a one year old daughter, Rachel. Hopefully they can come down from Ohio for the walk on Mother's Day.


Paul Holleger is now 21, and is doing a Drexel University internship in Nevada, 
towards his degree in Engingeering.


Beth Holleger is now 18, and is a senior in high school.


John Holleger is now 15, and is a freshman in high school.


JOHN'S BLOG POST: 

“I Remember.”

December 23, 2007, I remember that day as if it was yesterday. It was cold and cloudy at around 11 AM when my Dad, Paul, Beth, I got home from church and I saw my oldest sister, Mary, standing in the kitchen crying. Even though I was standing in the back of the family as we walked in the door, I knew exactly what had happened when I saw Mary there.

There were other memories that I remember clear as day during other points in our family's fight against breast cancer. One of which was the day my mom was diagnosed with cancer, September 2, 2005. I knew that my Mom and Dad had gone to the hospital because I thought mom was just a little sick (I was nine at the time). When they got home from the hospital, my dad asked us all to sit in the family room because he had to tell us something very important, which is never a good sign. Everyone sat down on the couch and I sat on the ground, and then my Mom walked in and said with her arms open, “I have cancer…who needs a hug?” my heart shattered at that moment. I also remember being the first one to give her a hug as soon as she asked.

The weekend before her heavenly home-going part of our family went down to Ocean City, MD. Usually, we would have all gone down during the Thanksgiving holiday, but because of Mom’s health, we had to stay home for Thanksgiving. I remember the last words I said to her were “I love you.” and “Good bye”. I don’t regret anything. I am so glad those were my last words to her. Not many people can say that their last words to a loved one were “I love you.”

I remember tons of things my mom and I shared even before she got cancer. One of my favorites was when she and I used to sit on the tan, single-seating recliner and read or just talk. And when I was little and scared or couldn't sleep, she used to sleep in my bed with me. She used to sing a song to me when I was upset and it always made me feel better. It went like this “I’ll love you forever, I’ll love you for always. As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be!” -that’s right there is probably my fondest memory of her.

BETH'S BLOG POST:

I was only 12 when my Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Only 14 when she passed away. But during those hard times and the hard times that were to come, I would think about some of my favorite memories of my Mom. They help to remind me of what kind of person she was, which in turn inspires me to be a better person - someone she would be proud of. I like to try and think of the good times I have shared with my mom; the happy times, not the bitter times. But I also don't want to completely forget those difficult times either, for they made me who I am today.

In April 2005, 5 months before she was diagnosed, My mom took me on a day trip to New York City. I really love The Phantom of the Opera - both the book and the musical. I had read the book no less than 5 times and knew every word to the musical. She had bought us front row seats to see the musical! We got to the city early and spent the day together. I absolutely loved the musical, it was beautiful. I was especially impressed with the actor who played The Phantom. So afterwards, she took me to the stage door to talk to some of the actors as they came out. One of the actresses, I believe she played the role of "Carlotta", said she was very impressed with me and wanted to take me back stage to meet the actor who played The Phantom. I was amazed! We followed her back, and waited to meet him. Unfortunately, he was still getting "de-phantomized," and I didn't have the opportunity to meet him in person. But, I was given his autograph.  I was ecstatic! We spent the rest of the day together in the city, and it is one of my favorite memories of her. The whole day was about me. Everything we did was for me. It was so unselfish and generous of her. I still have the autograph. She had given me a special "Phantom of the Opera" frame for it, and it sits on my bookshelf.

Another favorite memory of Mom happened a few years before. I was about 9 or 10. Every year, we would take a family vacation to Ocean City, Maryland. We still do, in fact. During this stage of my life, I loved Horses. My favorite book was Misty of Chincoteague - which is a children's book based on the true story of a brother and sister who saved up enough money to buy a wild pony. While we were in Maryland, my Mom wanted to take me to Chincoteague Island for the day. So we took the hour drive one day to explore the island. While we were there, she took me to a stable so I could ride an (alleged) descendant of Misty. She even bought me a little stuffed animal horse that looked like the one I got to ride. Then we went for lunch and ice cream! When we were leaving the restaurant though, our car wouldn't start. One of the "natives"  stopped and helped us to get going. While we were talking to him, he told us that he was neighbors with Maureen Bebe, the sister in Misty of Chincoteague. He told us where she lived, so my mom took us there. We found her, and she signed my book for me! I was beyond excited. As soon as we got back, I put it in a little ziploc so nothing would ruin the book. I still have the book on my bookshelf, still in the same plastic bag I had put it in 8 years ago. 



MARY'S BLOG POST:

Dear Mom,


I have a lot of news to share with you since you left us. There have been many days where I've wanted to pick up the phone and give you a call to catch up. All of us have missed you since you've been gone, but there are certain times in our lives where we really feel it more than others. You never got to meet my husband, Matt, but I know you would love him. There wouldn't be one time that you'd see him that he wouldn't make you laugh. Our wedding was small and intimate, and Dianne and I sometimes joke about how easy it was to plan a wedding without a mother to boss you around! But really, we missed having your ideas and your presence, and most of all the unconditional love that you would radiate. I know that if you had been there, you would have added some special surprise element.

I miss you more now than in the past, because I'm expecting my first child, and we just found out that it is a baby girl! You should have been there when we found out the gender. We did it in a really special way. We had the doctor write the secret gender in a sealed envelope, which we gave to our friends. They then baked a pink or blue cake depending on the gender, and then iced it with chocolate icing so we couldn't see the color of the cake. We took the gender cake to Matt's parent's house, and Beth and Paul came down to share in the gender surprise. I was convinced it would be a boy, and was shocked when we sliced into the cake and saw that it was PINK! 


I find myself wanting to ask you questions every day. What were your pregnancies like? Did you get very sick? Because in the first trimester, I was awfully sick. I do remember you telling me long ago that you got an epidural for your youngest, John, but did not have any serious pain killers for the rest of the children. And I distinctly remember you recommending the epidural, and saying, "Why didn't I do this with all five?!" ...I just wanted to let you know, I plan to take your advice. When I get to the hospital I'm going to start shouting, "Give me drugs! Whatever you got!" 


I wanted to ask you about baby names as well. I think we are going to name her Julianna Katlin, after Julia (Mom-mom), Anna (Matt's grandmother), Kathleen (you!), and Linda (Matt's mother). I think you would like that name. We are not making it official yet, because, as always, I can't focus on just one choice. You were always great at helping me make decisions like this. Even if you offered no advice, you would always LISTEN. I think that is one of the things I miss the most: your ever ready ear. 


One last thing, Mom. You know how there is usually a moment between mother and daughter, when the daughter has reached adulthood and she says to the mom, "Wow, I really get everything now- everything you did for us. You were amazing. All that hard work that was unappreciated before, now I understand." I just wanted to let you know that I feel that way now. I remember as a young teenager I used to be bitter that our house was usually a mess, or that you would rarely wear make up and fashionable clothes. The fact that you were raising five kids and homeschooling them all didn't seem to matter to me. Now I'm raising- what- a cat? And I find myself struggling to keep up with the day to day chores, and can't IMAGINE doing it with five kids in the house that never even left for school during the day. You were truly amazing. I think that my appreciation for you will only be magnified once I hold my own baby daughter in my arms in January. 


Well, mom, I have to go for now. I love you and miss you. All of us Holleger Kids are fighting your disease, still. Last year we raised over $800 for breast cancer research. This year we want to double it, if not more. We're doing it all in your memory. 


Lots of love,

Mary 


DIANNE and RACHEL'S BLOG POST: 

Well Mom, several years have passed. I don't remember much around the time you were officially diagnosed but I remember how it all started.  I remember you telling me that it was probably an infection and then after a week or so on antibiotics it hadn't cleared up. They were going to do a biopsy. That was when I thought you might have something worse. It's all a blur- those couple years. At first the late nights with fevers and the question of "should we go the the hospital?" Which always ended in a "yes." Worry, wondering what was going to happen, if suddenly you had taken a bad turn. Having to help with the younger kids while Mary helped you or took you to the hospital, and vacations almost cut short. My life was being turned upside down. 
During this time I did meet Mark. You remember him, he tried to fix my first car and had dinner with you guys often while I was at work. Well Mom, we got married in 2009. It was a beautifil wedding with lots of friends and family. I wore your wedding dress. It fit perfectly and I didn't need to alter it at all. Everyone ooo'd and ahh'd. You should've seen it, you would have loved it. 
A few months later Mark and I found out we were having a baby. A girl Mom, Rachel, and she's beautiful. She looks just like me which means she'll look a lot like you too. She was such a good baby Mom. She likes to sleep and is fairly good tempered, though now that she's a toddler she's getting a little harder to handle. 
I have so many questions for you Mom and I think of you often and wonder how I'm supposed to figure some of these things out. Things like "What kind of cheese did you use in this recipe?" 
Mark and I moved to Ohio too Mom. I like it up here and I think it will be a great place to raise Rachel. I miss you a lot Mom and I hope one day someone can beat this. We're all still remembering you and fighting your battle for you Mom.

Love you,
Dianne

Hi Grandmom,
I never got to meet you in person but mommy talks about you. You sound like you would have been a fun Grandmom.
I love you Grandmom.

Bye-Bye,
Rachel





PAUL'S BLOG POST: 
coming soon, check back! 


DON'T FORGET TO DONATE! 
Comments are welcome and appreciated, leave one below. 





No comments:

Post a Comment